Saturday, October 31, 2015

Rockinnreelin...


Five years ago today I did my first ever post on Spools Paradise. As it was Halloween it seemed only appropriate that it would be on The Cramps. As they were the first band I ever saw play live, on the Date With Elvis tour, they have always held a special place in my musical heart. As a 16 year they quite literally blew my mind and although I saw them a few years later it was that 1986 gig that sticks in my mind like it was yesterday. The tour was immortalised forever on the Rockinnreelininaucklandnewzealand live album from the very last night of the tour. Live albums generally don’t work for me, but it is a pretty decent recording on the last date of the tour when they were entertaining the good folks of New Zealand. Nowadays I rarely listen to Cramps albums, but as a live act they had few equals, they were everything that live acts should be. Their unhinged rockabilly sound left a lasting impression on this 16 year old and, although I have been to better gigs over the years there are not many bands who had the stage presence, energy and sense of fun that The Cramps delivered time after time, year after year. I have no idea how many gigs I have been to over the years, but can safely say that it would not have been so many if not for the glorious introduction I had. God Bless Lux, Poison Ivy and all the others who have served their time with one of the greatest bands ever, The Cramps....

It was never my intention to have an extended break from the blog and, if I’m being honest, I don’t really have one specific reason why I have not posted for a while. All I can say is that life kind of got in the way and, before I knew it, one day led to another and before I knew it a couple of months had passed. Thank you to those who left comments and sent emails and hopefully I’ll post a bit more regularly and, more importantly, get back to checking out what all the other wonderful bloggers out there are posting.



12 comments:

  1. Good to have you back Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Drew, good to be back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second that.Welcome back mate. Nice comeback post too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Cramps on Halloween is quite a beginning. I wasn't here for your first go around five years ago, but I'm glad I can say I was here for this new chapter. So nice to see the spool turning once again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Cramps for a first gig? Quite a heady introduction to live music. Top tune, excellent post. Great to see you back Scott, the old place hasn't been the same without you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cramps for a first gig??? Pah!!!!!! Wishbone Ash for me. Good to see you posting again, Scott, looking forward to some choice soul tracks, amongst others.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, as all above... nice to see you again! The Cramps your first live band and when you were just 16? - wow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post Scott, the Cramps are much loved in this household too. Good to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for all the comments, really appreciate them. Will spend the next week or so catching up on all your blogs. As I mentioned in the post it wasn't a conscious choice to take a break, it just kinda happened and before I knew it a couple of months had elapsed. It is nice to be back right enough....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you worry, the breaks on Sexyloser are constantly longer than the no-breaks, so I know very well that these things can happen: you're back and that's the main thing!

    ReplyDelete